With MailStore Server, emails can be archived immediately upon sending and receiving.
- If using Microsoft Exchange, this is done by archiving the Journal mailbox.
- If using IMAP4 compatible email servers such as Novell GroupWise, Kerio MailServer
or MDaemon, this is done by archiving multidrop mailboxes (also called catchall mailboxes).
- In all other cases, as well as in companies without their own email server, this can
be done using the MailStore proxy server which is available to all MailStore customers free of charge
Accordance with the Original
All emails and file attachments are archived without any loss of data; they are MIME
compatible and can be restored at any time.
Ensuring Long-term Access to the Archive
MailStore Server does not tie to a proprietary file format. All archived emails can be
exported in one easy step and at any time in standard format according to RFC822, which
has been in existence for over 25 years. The exported files can be opened and processed
by most email applications. In addition, MailStore offers a wide range of export and
Implementation of Retention Periods
Emails can be stored in the archive in blocks sorted by year or month, for example.
More recent blocks (e.g. less than ten years old) can be write-protected, while older
ones can be completely detached from the archive.
An integrated system of privileges ensures that only authorized users are able to
access each archived email.
Preventing Users from Deleting Emails Intentionally or Unintentionally
Through the MailStore user management, users can be entirely prevented from
deleting any emails.
Preventing the Manipulation of Email Contents
MailStore uses different procedures and technologies to prevent the manipulation of
- Creation of SHA1 hash values using email contents
- Internal AES256 encryption of email body and file attachments
- No direct access to the archived data using MailStore Client software
- Modification of email contents is neither provided for in the graphical user interface
nor internally within the program
- Automatically archiving all emails immediately upon sending and receiving prevents
them from being manipulated before being stored in the archive
- MailStore Server directly supports the additional backup of data to WORM media;
this can also be done by applications of other manufacturers, if needed
Beyond that, IT administration must ensure that only authorized persons receive direct
access to the MailStore Server system and the underlying archive data.
Access to the Archive for Auditors
MailStore Server provides for the setup of user accounts with read-only access to the
entire archive or parts thereof. Using the full-text search feature of such an account,
auditors can browse and view the archived emails and, if needed, export individual
or all emails in various formats for further use.